I love lists. I like to make ’em, and I like to read ’em too. So I made a list of some really good reasons why I love sewing. It probably doesn’t capture everything I feel on every day, but it’s a good start:
- I create actual “things”. Sometimes they are useful. Sometimes they are pur-tay. Sometimes both!
- I get to operate really cool power tools.
- Petting is involved. Actually even encouraged. (Hint: head into your LFS and touch, fondle, and pet any and all bolts of fabrics. Twice.)
- My wardrobe is uniquely mine. I never arrive at an event wearing the same dress as anyone else.
- I love saying “I made it myself!”. I possibly love hearing “My wife made this shirt” even a little more! 😉
- I get to play with color. And texture. Pattern and design lines, too. It’s called “making art”.
- I use my whole brain. I do math, draw pattern and design lines, test out color combinations, solve construction problems, adjust fit, and lots more on most garments.
- I learn new stuff – really often. Maybe not on every garment, but almost!
- I get to go on sewing retreats with other sewing nerds. We drink wine together too! 🙂
- Sometimes I get to make important garments for people I love. Like christening gowns, or wedding dresses, or prom dresses. And then the memory of that special celebration is even richer.
What about you? What would your list look like?