I’m in the mood for a little red dress. I wear plenty of black, and since I am thoroughly sick to death of the nasty March weather we have been having lately in the Seattle area, I am gonna make me something perky and bright! I have had this pattern in my stash for, as my youngest son used to say, aÂ “couple whiles”. ProbablyÂ at least 3 years, and likely more.Â IÂ had just the right amount of some red polyester knit fabric with a very nice “crepe-y” texture, so I cut it out this morning and it is ready to stitch up. Sweet!
I also checkedÂ the reviews forÂ this dress on patternreview.com. (This site is one of my favorite sewing sites, andÂ Â does and awesomeÂ job of alerting you toÂ any problems or issues with drafting or construction on commercial patterns. ) The things I noted on several reviews were 1) excessive stretching on the skirt (which is a half circle so lotsa bias!), 2) some stretching around the necklinesÂ and sleeves facings, and 3) the wrong side of the tie wraps showing.Â Hmmm. I was considering stitching some rayon seam binding into the skirt seamsÂ to stabilize those peskyÂ bias seams…I think I will experiment with a few options. Maybe silk organzaÂ selvedge edges would work too. As for the neck and sleeve edges – I am voting for turning under twice and stitching on my coverstitch machine. I will probably either staystitch the Â edges before I turn under, or possibly use a strip of light weight Steam-a-Seam, and pull it just aÂ bit to “draw up” the fabric just a touch. I prefer no gaping, you know. 🙂
This dress is a snap to stitch up, so as long as I can stay out of the garden I should be able to complete it pretty quickly. Happy sewing!