Well, color me surprised! And super appreciative! Thanks Deanna, (of the awesome blog, SewMcCool), for nominating me for a Liebster award. You have probably heard of this award- it is handed out to new bloggers and/or those who have a small following. So here’s your chance to follow me and show me some reader love! I will reciprocate with loads of pithy, entertaining, and hopefully useful blogging posts about sewing. And occasionally other topics. But almost exclusively sewing. Deal?
I get to answer a few of Deanna’s questions, and then nominate other “new” or “new-ish” bloggers for Liebsters to pass on the love. Here we go!
1. WhenÂ did you begin sewing, and why?
Oh my goodness, I started sewing Barbie doll clothes by hand very young. Maybe 7 or 8? I don’t remember exactly how old I was, but by mother, grandmother, and both my aunts were all excellent seamstresses so I was around fabric, sewing machines, and sewing projects from day 1. I started sewing clothes for myself with my mom in the sixth grade. Home economics was required in the seventh grade and was an elective in the eighth grade. Because my mom was such a great sewist, my skills were way beyond most of the other girls, and by 8th grade I was able to make whatever I wanted in class. I loved the process of combining fabric and patterns to create unique clothing for myself. Also keep in mind it rains A LOT in Seattle, so having a fun, creative activity that you can do inside is a plus. 🙂
2. When did you decide to â€œtake upâ€ sewing professionally? What was the catalyst?
I dreamed of having some kind of sewing business my whole life, but I “fell into” working as a computer programmer and then a program manager soon after college. The real catalyst was getting laid off from a part-time job I had accepted right after leaving Microsoft. I thought, “this is my chance to see if I can do something with sewing”. I really was not sure where a sewing business would take me, but I had an idea that private sewing lessons might be appealing to already-over-scheduled-women.
Soooo, with my husband’s blessing and support, I filed for a business license, created a web site promoting private sewing lessons, and began teaching group lessons at a nearby fabric store. Business was very slow at the beginning, but I was learning and trying new things as I went along. Two years ago one of my students encouraged me to try a sewing camp for kids, and I am pretty sure I had as much fun as the girls did that first session. I have totally realized my passion – imparting the love of sewing to other people!
3. Which is more important to you â€“ if you could have only one or the other â€“ color or design? Why?
Tough question, because I do love color. But design would be my first choice because beautiful color will not overcome poor design, but black or white + great design = art.
4. If you could sew for any person, living or historical, who would it be, and why?
I would LOVE to sew for Michelle Obama because she has such a great sense of style and has fun with her clothes. Grace Kelly would be an awesome person to dress/sew for too – such a classic beauty and wonderful taste in clothes.
5. Share 5 things about yourself that most people donâ€™t know.
- I am afraid of heights AND snakes.
- I took voice lessons even though my mother told me I was tone deaf (and I’m not, BTW).
- Despite my fear of heights, I went paragliding in Mexico, zip-lining in Hawaii, and walked across the Capilano Suspension Bridge in British Columbia.
- My head circumference is too big to wear most hats. Those “one size fits all” hats should state “except Maris”.
- I was born in France while my dad was serving in the Air Force.
Alrighty now, my questions are:
- What is your favorite period in fashion, and why?
- What do you most like to sew, and why?
- If you could have a super power, what would it be?
- What are you most afraid of?
- What makes you want to jump out of bed every morning?
- What were your favorite 3 activities when you were a child?
- Which is more important to you â€“ if you could have only one or the other â€“ color or design? Why?
- Share 5 things about yourself that most people don’t know.
- What is the best book you have read recently?
- What quality in a friend is most important to you, and why?
And MY nominees for the Liebster Award are….drum roll please!
Crafted by Carrie – what a busy gal she is! Trying to finish up a PhD in Biological Engineering and still she makes time to sew. Beautifully, I might add!
Make It Yourself Mom’s Diary – I can’t believe Laura has time to sew at all. A busy mom of 4! Great artistic & fashion sense!