This is it, dear friends, my entry for The Monthly Stitch Dresses Contest!
As you know from yesterday’s post, my Salme pattern attempt for the contest was a major fail. Luckily I had ordered
another small containerseveral new patterns from Style Arc, including the Kate Dress. There also happened to be a bit of suitable knit fabric in my stash, so I was off and running.
Fit. Almost perfect. I think the shoulder seam angle could be adjusted a bit, but I am not sure about that. I did my usual petite-above-the-waist adjustment. Unlike some other reviewers on patternreview.com, the skirt length was perfect for me. I am not that tall (5’7″), but since about 5 feet of that is in my legs, the “too-long-for-many” skirt was just right for me. I guess you know why I always have to petite those bodices, now, too! 😉
Drafting. Up to Style Arc’s usual high standards. These pieces just fit together. Period.
Flattering. DVF nailed it, and others have been copying the look for years because it looks great on so many body shapes.
Styling. I actually really like the little tuck detailing on the sleeves of this pattern, but my fabric was of-the-devil, and I was totally unsuccessful at producing a decent topstitch. No matter what type of needle I tried, the darn thing just wanted to “grip” the fabric when pulling out. I eliminated the tucks on this version, but I like the dress so much I will likely make it again in a friendlier fabric choice and plan to try them again. The right front pleats were easy enough to make, but they are just not very visible in the busy print of my fabric. I think they would be a nice design element on a solid cotton/lycra fabric though.
Instructions. Fine, but this dress is so simple you really don’t need them anyway.
Do yourself a favor and order this pattern, and make up this dress. I need to go cut out a few more right now!