I.Love.This. Originally written several years ago by Keri Smith, I think it is a great list of ways we sabotage ourselves as sewing-artists.
How to Feel Miserable as an Artist
1. Constantly compare yourself to other artists.
2. Talk to your family about what you do and expect them to cheer you on.
3. Base the success of your entire career on one project.
4. Stick with what you know.
5. Undervalue your expertise.
6. Let money dictate what you do.
7. Bow to societal pressures.
8. Only do work that your family would love.
9. Do whatever the client/customer/gallery owner/patron/investor/ asks.
10. Set unachievable/overwhelming goals. To be accomplished by tomorrow.
At times, I have done each item on this list. How about you? Any resonate with you? Are you still struggling with any or all of these behaviors?
Happy sewing (and creating!)