September is National Sewing month! Whatever you think of Reagan’s politics, he proclaimed September as National Sewing month in 1982, “In recognition of the importance of home sewing to our Nation.”
I don’t know if any of my sewing is very important to our country, but I do have some reasons why sewing is important to me. Namely:
- I make cool stuff with pretty fabric.
- I continually grow and improve my skills.
- I get pleasure from wearing things I have made with my own two hands, and seeing my friends and family enjoy and use things I have made.
- I practice patience and perseverance working on complex projects (and sometimes I practice creative language skills too 🙂 ).
- I get practice shooting baskets when I throw a “wadder” into the trashcan across the room. 🙂
- I feel connected to a larger community of sewists, including my mom, grandmothers, aunts, and many, many good friends.
- I love the art and craft of sewing. I just plain love it, and it is one of the few things I want to do it nearly every day.
National Sewing Month is sponsored by the Sewing Craft Alliance, in partnership with the American Sewing Guild. As part of the fun, they are also sponsoring a sewing contest. How fun is that? All you have to do is submit pictures of your project no later than September 30, 2011, and include a ♥ in a visible location. What do you think? A fun challenge, or too much stress?